You can strengthen your immune system naturally with holistic medicine. If you catch more than two colds a year you probably have weakened immune system. Weakened immune system leads to infection, infection causes damage to the immune system, which further weakens resistance. Enhancing the immune system can provide the answer to breaking the cycle.
What causes weakened immune system?
- Level of stress
- Dietary habits and nutritional status. Nutrient deficiency is the most frequent cause of a depressed immune system. One of the more damaging food components to our immune system is sugar.
- Medications (corticosteroids, immunosupressants, TNF inhibitors)
Symptoms of low immune system
- Chronic silent inflammation (allergies & asthma)
- Autoimmune diseases & viruses (RA, lupus, MS, IBD, thyroid diseases, some of HHV virus)
My Top 9 Immune System Boosters
- Ginger is used in ayurvedic medicine to boost immune system before recorded history. It’s believed that ginger helps to break down the accumulation of toxins in our organs due to its warming effects. It’s also known to cleanse the lymphatic system, our network of tissues and organs that help rid the body of toxins, waste and other unwanted materials. I use ginger root for tea, extract juice and food. My favorite juice is beets with carrot and ginger extract (juiced ginger).
- Turmeric is used also in ayurvedic medicine to support immune system. Turmeric combined with bioperine maximizes it´s effect. There is available turmeric tablets and powder, I prefer powder and fresh turmeric root. You can add turmeric powder e.g. pasta´s boiling water, salad, veggies, morning bowl etc.
- Spirulina (w/ wheat-grass) removes heavy metals and detox your body, Boosts your immune system. I mix my spirulina powder (1 tsp) and wheat-grass powder (1 tsp) with glass of coconut water. Coconut water hides unpleasant taste!
- Garlic contains the immune-stimulating compound allicin which promotes the activity of white blood cells to destroy cold and flu viruses. Garlic also stimulates other immune cells which fight viral, fungal and bacterial infections. Eat it raw for medicinal effect. Allicin is released when you cut, chop, chew or crush the raw cloves. Sprinkle freshly chopped garlic over foods, into soup, or swallow bits with a drink like a pill. My body can´t take raw garlic so I use lots of garlic in my food, like garlic soup, roasted sweet potato etc.
- Probiotics – leaky gut is a major cause of food sensitivities, autoimmune disease and immune imbalance or a weakened immune system, it’s important to take probiotics. I use only world´s stongest probiotic product available (Vivomixx).
- Vitamin D deficiency is associated with autoimmunity and chronic inflammation. You should measure your vitamin D level in blood before to take extra intake of vitamin D. If your vitamin level in blood is lower than 38 nmol/l then it´s critical. I took huge amounts of vitamin D for 3 years until my vitamin D level was good enough (90 nmol/l).
- Vitamin C deficiency is also associated with autoimmunity and chronic inflammation. I take every day my vitamin C high dosage even I eat sea buckthorn berries and drink extract and taking amla.
- Oregano essential oil fights infections naturally due to its antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral and anti-parasite compounds. I use wild oregano oil caps daily to support my immune system. Be sure that oregano is origanum vulgare leaf.
- Medicinal mushrooms like maitake, shitake, reishi and chaga. Mushroom beta-glucans activate white blood cells. Mostly using reishi and chaga as a tea.
If you are pregnant or under any medication talk to your physician first before to take any supplements, essential oils or superfood.
Carotenes have been shown to enhance the function of several types of white blood cells, as well as increase the antiviral and anticancer properties of our own immune system mediators, such as interferon. Carotene-rich foods and drinks appear to be able to boost immunity. Foods high in carotenes include colored vegetables, such as dark greens; yellow and orange squash, carrots, yams, and sweet potatoes; and red peppers and tomatoes. Also important for proper immune function, including protecting against cancer, is the inclusion of cabbage family vegetables (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbages, cauliflower, collards, kale, and greens from mustard, radish and turnipany, flavonoid rich berries, garlic and Jerusalem artichoke in the diet.
– Food is medicine. Food is energy. –
My immune system somehow weakened and I got some virus flu, and nasty symptoms. After taking my immune system boosters I am back on track again.
You find me on Instagram @peacefulhealthwarrior, focused more on food.
Health, Love & Peace ♡
Sources: bayanbotanicals.com, naturalnews.com, CDC, doctormurray.com